Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Saturday, April 25, 2009... Here's how it went down:

A lot has happened between my last post and now. Darius had his last soccer game, and they lost. They were undefeated and they lost! :( Oh well, they are only 6. Earlier in the day, Ewan had decided to till the entire front yard, making it a muddy mess. But, he insists that someday, beautiful grass will grow there. I hope for his sake, that this really happens. But, he is watering and loving the rain. We had all been up since about 7:50am because we awoke to find Ewan missing, and found him outside "tending to the garden."

Then, my tornado dream last week, led me to live my worst nightmare on this Saturday as well. Here's how it went down...

A usual Kansas strange weather day. Nothing really out of the ordinary. A lot of rain. It was Darius' last soccer game of the season, and we escaped rain during the game, but it began raining on our way to the carnival at West Indianola. We took our coats in just in case, thinking that some of the carnival may be outside if it stopped raining. Well, I ended up carrying 4 heavy jackets and my arm was tired.

We had been at the carnival for over an hour, and it was time to get rid of those jackets and get busy playing games. We had already eaten, and Darius had found his all-time favorite game...Marble Madness. We walked outside to get some air because it was quite humid in the building. I had decided that I would take the coats all the way out to the van, and it was quite a ways from the school. I got all the way to the car, and just as I was putting the jackets in the back of the van, the tornado sirens started blowing. I am surprised that I didn't pee my pants or pass out, since, this in fact, was my worst nightmare FULL BLOWN. (Except for if I actually see the tornado in real life, which, I see it in my dreams.)

As you see in my tornado dreams, I am not with Ewan or the kids. And right now, I was alone. Alone on the street, far away from anyone. I was looking at the sky, luckily I didn't see anything suspicious. But, I was still in a panic. I really had to calm myself down!

I shut the back of the van and remembered that I was getting Sofia's shoes since I had traded her sandals in the van, and I couldn't let her go barefoot, so I actually went to the front of the van where the shoes were, and frantically grabbed them before I went running for the school. Now, once I reached the school, I wasn't any more relaxed. A) I had no shelter B) I still didn't know where my husband and kids were. I was running through the school. (Everyone probably thought I was crazy, since you could barely even hear the sirens from inside with all the chaos.) Someone asked what's wrong, and I said I couldn't find my husband and kids. They were like, "Yeah, sometimes that happens." and probably wondered why I was so frantic, I mean, I was just at a school carnival. I wanted to scream at them and say: "The freaking tornado sirens are blowing, I am separated from my family, and there is no basement in this place!" But, I walked (maybe ran) away and kept searching.

Now, had I known where this "tornado" was in the first place, I would not have panicked so much. I later found out from the fire department people that were at the carnival, that the tornado was SE and heading toward Lawrence. So, I calmed down and we were able to proceed at the carnival withouth leaving. Darius was having so much fun at the Marble Madness game that I couldn't take him away. Plus, we had to redeem his tickets for all of those fabulous "Chuck-E-Cheese" type prizes! We couldn't go home empty handed!

In church on Sunday, the electricity went out and a storm was brewing. All I could think about, was what Sofia was doing in Sunday School, and all Ewan could think about was the fact that the rain was pounding down, most likely washing away all of the grass seed he put down.

This was one long, eventful, exciting weekend.

0 comments: