Thursday, February 11, 2010

Adjusting to the new position...




Well, we have all heard the term soccer mom. And, I thought after I got a minivan and my son started playing soccer, that I had met the definition or requirements of that title. But, I have quickly learned that is not the case.


I do owe my husband an apology for the slight meltdown I had after the first night of baseball practice. Yes, I do want Darius to be involved and do the things that he wants to do. But, when a child wants to do it all, don't you have to draw the line somewhere? I mean, he wanted to do cub scouts, fine. But then I ended up as one of the leaders. He wanted to do soccer, and Ewan ended up as the coach. Super. And then Darius decided that he wanted to try his hand at baseball. Fantastic.


Well, with Ewan being in school, it truly means that most of this falls to me. I admire Ewan very much for sticking with school and finishing up his Master's, which will be completed in May. (I don't want to jinx him or anything, but since he pretty much get's straight A's, I think he may be safe.)


So, baseball batting practice is on Monday nights, Tuesday nights are cub scouts and soon-t0-be soccer practice, Wednesday nights are Sofia's dance night and Thursday nights will be fielding practice starting next week. So, that means, that every weeknight is officially filled up, except for Friday nights, which will hopefully remain Family Night. Saturdays are taken up by soccer games, birthday parties, Caribbean Night (which sometimes means, Caribbean afternoon into night) and Sundays, church., sometimes meetings, sometimes E has work, preparing for the new week, etc...


My wonderful husband keeps reminding me that he would be taking Darius to some of this stuff if he wasn't in class. But, the thing is...he is in class! It wouldn't be so bad if the facility wasn't CLEAR across town. Literally, couldn't get any farther away. But, I think I am just adjusting to this new lifestlye. I know I am not the only one to go through it, and won't be the last. So, I am willing to let my kids do what they enjoy and sacrifice a little bit of my sanity. I know that we will be right there, watching those games, at that dance recital, and making sure that daddy and the batmobile and mad mom in a mini-van are ready for round 2, and round 3....and round 4.... you get the idea.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i know what you mean girlfriend! we seem to think we're so busy when they're little....but the fun really begins when they get old enough to start doing stuff! SCARY!!! and you're allowed to feel overwhelmed b/c you ARE! it's hard being "the one" to do all the running around. hang in there sister!

augustefamily said...

Thanks Tonya! I just felt like I couldn't keep up! But, I firmly believe that God does not put us through more than we can bear. So, bring on the "fun" !?!?